Today we drove close to 550 miles, which took us about 12 hours (including our little stops here and there.) This was the dreaded longest day yet, but we planned it this way because for one, there was nothing exciting to see along the way except for the SPAM museum, and this way, we could get a full day of Chicago in the next day without feeling like we wasted a traveling day. The terrain went from flat to a refreshing view of hills and trees. Thankfully the girls fell asleep early in the drive and slept for the first three hours. They were exhausted from our late night of swimming last night, and when woken by 8am (which is technically 6am back home) they were grumpy little beasts. Without those long naps this morning, I’m sure today would have been a whole different story, and I seriously might have thrown myself out of the truck!
We’ve been stuffing our dirty clothes inside of other clothes for easier packing on the way out of each hotel. It just so happened that Malia’s pj’s made for a great laundry carrier today, LOL.
Before departing Sioux Falls we stopped to see the actual falls the city was named for. It’s pretty cool because they flow right through the middle of the city.
Unlike yesterday, we traveled through three states today. The first was Minnesota.
Minnesota is home to the Spam Museum. Apparently, rumors have spread that SPAM is made of all sorts of junk meats/animals. In truth (supposedly) SPAM is simply the shoulder of a HOG, mixed with water, salt, and sodium nitrate for preserving. Hmm… do you believe this? We like SPAM cooked with pineapple and in our sushi. But, we did pick up a few new recipe ideas from the museum, LOL. Believe it or not, this was a stop we were looking forward to! We were sad to find that their little Spam Shack was closed by the time we got there and didn’t get to eat any for Linner. Darn. (sorry for the blurry picture, it’s the only one I got)
On our way out I saw this sign… made me laugh. I guess I was destined for this vacation! Haha.
The other two states we crossed through were Wisconsin and Illinois! But, unfortunately, no state picture for Illinois. It was dark and with the construction at the border line, we couldn’t find the sign, if there was even one. We’ll see if we can catch it when leaving the state for Michigan.
It sure was a big driving day today with nothing too exciting to stop for, but thankfully, it was not near as bad as a few days ago when everyone was super grumpy. I’m not gonna lie, I think we are feeling the pressure of being forced so close for so long, but all in all, not too bad today considering. We are looking forward to exploring the parts of Chicago we haven’t seen yet, tomorrow!
No comments:
Post a Comment