This is going to have to be an abbreviated catch-up because I can’t believe it’s been 8 months! After surviving a busy first year in dental school we were rewarded with a long and relaxing summer. We didn’t do anything super crazy – we just spent a lot of quality time as a family. We also moved into a better home and location and finally feel a sense of “home”. Here’s a little update on each of us:
Malia – 6 1/2 yrs old
Malia completed kindergarten this last year and just loved school. I was worried she might grow bored, but her teachers were fantastic and kept the learning fun. She is now reading above her grade level and writes full-on sentences – craziness. We were late to the ‘winter’ sports this year as we were learning how to survive the Cleveland winters, so it wasn’t until Spring that Malia participated in ballet. She can’t say whether she loved it or not, but I am proud of her for trying new things. She learned how to safely swim this summer and is a fish out in the pool. Malia also lost her first tooth after our 4th of July camping trip. Malia is super creative and loves sitting at her craft table and coming up with new craft ideas. For example: on Allies bday Malia woke up early to create a birthday crown for her sister and it turned out amazing! Our goal for Malia this year is to help her make a good friend from school. (Most of the people that we know have kids Allie’s age and younger.)
Allie- 4 yrs old
Allie completed her first year of preschool and also loves school. We were a little worried about her socializing nicely with the other kids but she surprised us and excelled. She learned how to write her name and other small words like mom, dad, cat, etc. She sounds out all the letters and is trying to read like her big sister. Allie continues to test us with her defiant and strong personality, but she is always quick to tell and show us how much she loves us. She articulates her speech well and is just growing too fast. (She and Malia now share a shoe size). Allie is going to be our soccer player someday. Allie also was brave this summer and learned how to dunk her head under the water at swim lessons.
Aaron – old man
Aaron spent the last year dutifully supporting me through school while also balancing work. He had dinners ready, woke up early to make my breakfasts and lunches, kept up on the house work, transported kids to and from school – Aaron did everything so that I could study or spend time with the girls. He was and is, AMAZING. He continues to be busy with his job (which has been so perfectly flexible while he balances being home with the girls.) He is a property manager for 20+ properties in the area and is constantly busy with maintenance work. He is happy to have found something where he can support our family in numerous ways. I can’t say enough about how hard working Aaron is. He continues to play outdoor soccer weekly and also loves working with the youth at church.
Me – Hoku
I couldn’t have been more happy to finish off my first year. It was crazy – but doable. I am excited to complete boards this December because then it means an educational turn to more hands-on dentistry stuff. I’ve been enjoying the military benefits – it’s amazing how many places give discounts. I’ve also been going to the gym regularly and am happy to feel more fit. (Soon I’ll convince Aaron to go.) I loved my time off this summer and will cherish the library dates, the pool dates, the park dates, and the play time with my girls. I also loved spending so much time with Aaron. We had time to go on many dates and even got to start and finish some TV series! I did work part-time as a dental hygienist this summer for a pediatric dentist in Solon and was glad to keep my skills up. I am also still playing soccer and busy with the young women at church.
Ok… now for some good ‘summary’ pictures!
January-February
All I remember in those two months were the negative temperatures and snow – and lots of it too. We had to get creative with our inside play – we played with bubbles indoors, brought snow into the bathtub, and started riding bikes in our ghetto basement. We did our best to bundle up and enjoy the sunny days. Aaron and I did discover the WestSide Market and now frequent the place for their delicious Gyros. We celebrated Malia’s 6th birthday and I swore in to become a 2nd Lieutenant in the Air Force.
March-April
We visited the Columbus, OH Temple for the first time and also enjoyed our first family ice skating ever. Winking Lizard became our new favorite restaurant for an obvious reason seen below. We got a trampoline in anticipation for our new home. Malia had her first ER visit and needed 5 stitches – she and daddy were having too much fun on the see-saw and Malia split her lip open. Malia was so cute in her ballet leotard. We must have been having better weather because Nana and Zz came to visit for the Easter weekend and we adventurously hiked to a castle.
May
I completed the first year of Dental school and Allie got to spend some good quality time with Aaron and I while Malia was in school. I’m remembering that maybe the sun was finally beginning to warm things up. Allie had a fun end of the year farm fieldtrip. Papa came to visit all the way from Vancouver, WA and we had so much fun showing him all around town and even got to go to Cedar Point! We had an awesome lightning storm. We discovered a fun camping place on Kelley’s Island and spent an enjoyable Memorial Day Weekend with friends.
June
Aaron took me and Al shooting for our first times. Malia went to her first Indian’s game. Allie finished off her first year of preschool. We celebrated the end of the girls’ school year with a trip to the lake beach.We discovered Cuyahoga National Park and found Brandywine Falls. Aaron and I had a kid-free weekend and made the most of it with lots of dates, restaurants, a concert, a 20mile bike ride. (Thank you Nana!) The girls found and scrubbed down their very own tree-lawn find – the picnic table. Our car received a new rear-end after being backed into by an idiot semi-truck driver only days after moving into our new place.
July
We spent the 4th of July at our new favorite camping place, and Malia even got to go fishing with Dad! (Allie was busy collecting spiders.) Malia lost her first tooth and just in time for the tooth fairy to visit the “fairy house”. We settled into our new home and are working on our new garden space. We found another water fall in Chagrin Falls. Allie celebrated her 4th birthday which was complete with a visit to the doctors. And look! These girls nearly share the same foot size!
August
My goal will be to at least update things monthly! Stay tuned…
No comments:
Post a Comment